Sunday, 27 May 2012

birth of robot

with story boards finished and set half way complete, i decided to start building my robot. first of all i drew him out on an A3 sized sheet of paper. next i placed an A£ sized sheet of tracing paper over the top of the other drawing.this was so that i could draw out how long i needed to be cutting my wire. 

because of the skinny design of the character, i needed to find a way of making the arms, legs and neck with out putting too much over the wire and restricting its movements. the solution was to wrap up four pieces of wire together with grey embodier thread.  

as you can see at the bottom of the above picture there is a tiny little hand. the method i used to make the hands was to get about a meters worth of coper wire, double it over and make a hand shape. then i grabbed the ends of the fingers with pliers and twisted the wire. to fill out the hand shape and to make the figures i used miliput. 

my robot puppet needs to be able to take his hands and feet off. i used K&S tubing so that the hands could slide in and out at the wrists and the feet could slide in and out at the ankles. 

next i then had to glue the K&S tubing to the ends of the arms and legs. making sure i left about 1CM of  excess K&S tubing so that there would be enough room for where the hands and feet fit in. 

i used the drawing of the robot and the traced out drawing too to see where i needed to bend the wire for the body shape of robot. then used thin wire to bind together the wire frame of the robot. 

to bulk out robots body i used pink foam. i first carved the shape out and then used sand paper to smooth out the shapes. to attached it to the body i had to cut each piece in half straight down the middle, sanded the iside to the shape of the wire and glued it back together. 

the middle part of robot or the waist was made out of a cotton bud that had been stretched out, the wrapped around the middle part of the wire. then thin wire was wrapped around the cotton wool and painted with latex so that the waist would maintain some flexibility. i then covered the body in mod rock and made three sets of eyes for replacements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment